The More you Know Monday

So the other day Little Spooner and I visited The Cleveland Metroparks Zoo. We went and walked through their new Dinosaur exhibit. It was pretty cool. Little Spooner was a little scared at first, and unfortunately had to tell her they were not real, and that they were just machines. What kid wouldn't be afraid of a 25ft T-Rex bringing it's head towards the ground??

To make her more interested in the dinosaurs, we started talking about the different kinds, and what made them different. Other than the obvious physical looks of them, I pointed out to her the differences in their teeth. The Dinosaurs that looked scarier with the sharp teeth eat meat, carnivores, like other animals or fish. The Dinosaurs with the flat teeth, that didn't look so scary, eat vegetables and plants, herbivores. She seemed to pick up on that concept quite quickly and was then pointing it out on all the animals. Even without seeing their teeth she could recognize what they would eat, or guess, and would say what kind of animal they were. Then we discussed what kind of teeth we as humans have. She immediately said "FLAT!", to which she then felt her teeth and said "both flat and sharp", and I said "Because we eat.." and she finished with "Meat and Plants!" I then explained to her that animals that eat both meat and plants were called omnivores.

To make a long story short, this discussion went on for a while. I was impressed at her ability to think of some crazy animals and tell me what they were. I was even more impressed when almost 5 days later out of nowhere she says to me "Mommy if I am eating waffles does that make me an herbivore or a carnivore?" The retention this little one has never ceases to amaze me! It sparked up the conversation again, and I decided to share with you a little video she allowed me to take (she, like her father, enjoys seeing herself in video).

Hope we have helped enlighten you a little into the world of the "bothavore"! :) - Mommy Spooner

Comments

Popular Posts