Mothers Day Post


Happy Mothers Day to all the Moms!  So I am a day late in posting this... but Mothers Day was yesterday.  I would have posted this yesterday, but I was exhausted and in bed by 9:30 after an amazing weekend with Little Spooner.  Our weekend was filled with the International Children's Festival downtown, 2 plays, Brunch at Market in Rocky River, swimming and dance class.
Last Mothers Day I reflected on how amazing my Mother is.  This Mothers Day I was reflecting a lot on how I would not be a Mother if it were not for Little Spooner.  It is because of her that I try so hard, and because of her that I constantly am trying to think of ways to better myself to be the best example for her.  Lord knows where I would be right now if I didn't have her to anchor me, and keep me in check.  Sometimes all it takes is a glance from her and I know she is saying "I love you mom", or a quick grab of my hand to cause my eyes to well-up with a few tears.  She truly is amazing, smart, funny, and caring little girl.  Before you are a Mom you only think you know what real, unadulterated, unfiltered love is... but really you have no idea. While surfing through the MOPS blog "Hello, Darling" I came upon this music video by JJ Heller- I Dream of you.  It kind of hi-jacked the original post that I had started (not to mention drove me to tears, how cute are those little girls).  The original post was going to highlight all of the fun things we did this past weekend, but honestly my favorite part of this weekend was just being "present" with her.  The Children's Festival downtown was fun. Brunch with our family was delicious.  We even took in a play with Nana.  It was all great and memorable, but the best part was not being distracted.

There are a few things that I am trying to change to better myself as a Mom.  I am currently making a pledge to be more "present" in my life, so I am trying my hardest to avoid a lot of things... I have come to realize that next year she will be in school half of a day, and the year after that she will be gone all day, so there is not a lot of time left to savor the moments at home or out and about exploring the world together.  So that is my goal for the next year.  When I am with Little Spooner, I am going to be "with" her, not just in the same room, or distracted.  Sure there are times when the laundry needs folded, or the bathroom needs cleaned, etc... but the times when its her and I, I want us to engage in each others presence.  I want to establish a relationship that is open, and she can feel safe to discuss anything with me.  As she gets older it might not stay the same, but I want her to look forward to our afternoons together. When we sit down to dinner I want there to be conversation not just about the day but about life, instead of each of us staring into our phones or eating in silence.

We are not supposed to compare ourselves to other moms or women, but I am sure we all suffer from the same amount of Mom-guilt at times.  What is one way that you think you could enrich the relationship you  have with your kids?- Mommy Spooner

Comments

Popular Posts