If you can't find'em......

Happy Holidays from Mommy and Little Spooner
Make them yourself! I spent a good chunk of time this year looking for new Christmas stockings. To my dismay there were not any that I found that I REALLY loved.  Well I did, but they were at a higher end store and cost between $30 and $40 dollars a piece... That's a little too rich for this mama's blood.  So Little Spooner and I set out on a journey to make the perfect stockings... and oh did we!  I even had an genius idea.  It will not always just be my little family of 2 (hopefully, God willing).  So instead of having to try and find the perfect stockings (again) in a few years... I bought enough fabric to make 5 possibly 6 stockings, for the possible future "Mr" and "Littles".  Believe it or not, this was MUCH easier than you would think.  I bought 2 yards of burlap (which already had the red dots on it- SCORE), 1 and 1/2 yards of patterned fabric for the lining, 1 yard of cream colored muslin, 1 yard of frilly "ribbon", red shiny ribbon, and 4 buttons.  I already had cream colored string (if you ever take a close look at my sewing projects you will often find that the thread matches nothing... luckily the thread I had at home matched almost perfectly).
The Boy stocking
The Girl Stocking












Inside lining of stockings
So all I had to do after purchasing the materials was download a stocking pattern off the internet.  This is a big blogger no-no, but I cannot remember the link that I got the pattern from.. but super easy to find one.  Then just begins the outlining and the cutting. I found it works MUCH  better if you fold your fabric in half and line up the edge of the stocking with the crease.  Then there is less sewing and less cutting.  Like I have said before, I am terrible at recording my progress... so when it was all said and done, all the extras added on I had 3 amazing stockings (yes, I made a "boy" stocking for Music Man)... It is called "The Boy Stocking" because it does not have any frills on the edge.  Like most of my projects, I am incredibly surprised at how these turned out.  :) I did make a burlap table runner this past fall that I did not post, so I will get that up here ASAP as well so you can see... It turned out great too, and I got a lot of compliments on it.
Twinkle our Elf on the Shelf finds them snuggly














So what would have cost me $30-40 dollars for 1 stocking... I ended up spending probably close to $55 dollars and now have 5 stockings... Mommy Spooner: 1, high end home store (PB, eh' hem): 0!! Hopefully a few more crafty posts to come before 2013 is over!- Mommy Spooner




Comments

Popular Posts